Saturday 22 February 2014

#12 Umar ibn al-Khattab from The History of the Khalifahs by Jalal ad- Din as-Suyuti

Section
Ibn ‘Asakir narrated from Ibn ‘Abbas that
al-‘Abbas said: I asked Allah, one year after
‘Umar had died, to show me him in a dream. I
saw him after a year and he was wiping the
sweat from his brow, so I said, ‘May my father
and my mother be your ransom, Amir al-
Mu’minin! How is it with you?’ He said, ‘This
is the time I have just finished. The house of
‘Umar had almost been violently demolished if
it had not been that I met a pitying,
compassionate one (Ra’uf Rahim. Note that
these are two names that Allah gave to His
Messenger, may Allah bless him and grant him
peace, in the penultimate ayah of Surat at-
Tawbah. Ar-Ra’uf ar-Rahim are names of
Allah).’
He also narrated from Zayd ibn Aslam that
‘Amr ibn al-‘As saw ‘Umar in his sleep and
asked, ‘How have you done?’ He asked, ‘When
did I leave you?’ He answered, ‘Twelve years
ago.’ He said, ‘I have only finished my
accounting now.’
Ibn Sa‘d narrated that Salim ibn ‘Abdullah ibn
‘Umar said: I heard a man of the Ansar
saying, ‘I asked Allah to show me ‘Umar in my
sleep, then I saw him after ten years, and he
was wiping sweat from his brow. I said, ‘Amir
al-Mu’minin, what have you done?’ He said,
‘Right now I have finished, and if it were not
for the mercy of my Lord I would have been
destroyed.’
Al-Hakim narrated that ash-Sha‘bi said:
‘Atikah bint Zayd ibn ‘Amr ibn Nufayl
eulogised ‘Umar, saying:
‘Eye! let your tears and weeping be abundant,
and do not weary over the noble imam.
The fate of the inspired horseman distressed
me
on the day of combat and harsh reproach;
The protection of the deen, the helper against
fate,
succour of the troubled and the distressed.
Say to the people of hardship and misfortune,
“Die! since fate has given us to drink the cup
of division and disunion.”’
Those of the Companions who died during his
days
During the khilafah of ‘Umar, may Allah be
pleased with him, those of the notable
companions who died were: ‘Utbah ibn
Ghazwan, al-‘Ala’ ibn al-Hadrami, Qais ibn
as-Sakan, Abu Quhafah the father of as-
Siddiq, may Allah be pleased with him, Sa‘d
ibn ‘Ubadah, Suhayl ibn ‘Amr, Ibn Umm
Maktum the mu’adhdhin, ‘Ayyash ibn Abi
Rabi‘ah, ‘Abd ar-Rahman the brother of az-
Zubayr ibn al-‘Awwam, Qais ibn Abi Sa‘sa‘ah
one of those who memorised all of the Qur’an,
Nawfal ibn al-Harith ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib, his
brother Abu Sufyan, Mariyah the mother of the
Sayyid Ibrahim (the son of the Prophet, may
Allah bless him and grant him peace, who died
in infancy), Abu ‘Ubaydah ibn al-Jarrah,
Mu‘adh ibn Jabal, Yazid ibn Abi Sufyan,
Shurahbil ibn Hasanah, al-Fadl ibn al-‘Abbas,
Abu Jandal ibn Suhayl, Abu Malik al-Ash‘ari,
Safwan ibn al-Mu‘attal, Ubayy ibn Ka‘b, Bilal
the mu’adhdhin, Usayd ibn al-Hudhayr, al-
Bara’ ibn Malik the brother of Anas, Zaynab
bint Jahsh, ‘Iyad ibn Ghanam, Abu’l-Haytham
ibn at-Tayyihan, Khalid ibn al-Walid, al-Jarud
the chief of Bani ‘Abd al-Qais, an-Nu‘man ibn
Muqarran, Qatadah ibn an-Nu‘man, al-Aqra‘
ibn Habis, Sawdah bint Zam‘ah, ‘Uwaym ibn
Sa‘idah, Ghilan ath-Thaqafi, Abu Mihjan ath-
Thaqafi, and other Companions, may Allah be
pleased with all of them.
----
1 An ayah whose judgement remains valid
although it is not in the mushaf and is not
recited.
2 Sikkah is literally both a ‘row’ and a
‘plough’ and it is possible there is a reference
to the tradition that ‘The sikkah (plough) has
not entered the abode of a people but that it
humiliated them.’

No comments:

Post a Comment