Friday 21 February 2014

Story of Three persons blocked in a Cave – Story from Hadith

Imams Bukhari and Muslim reported that the
Messenger sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said:
“Three persons of a people before you, were on
a journey when they were overtaken by a
storm and therefore they took shelter in a
cave. A rock slipped down from the mountain
and blocked the exit from cave.
One of them said: “The only way for
deliverance left is to beseech Allah in the
name of some virtuous deed.” Thereupon one
of them supplicated, “O Lord, my parents were
very old, I used to offer them their nightly
drink of milk before my children and the other
members of the family. One day I went astray
far away in search of green trees and could
return only after my parent had gone to sleep.
When I had milked the animals and brought
their nightly drink to them, They were fast
asleep, but I did not like to disturb them, nor
would give any part of the milk to my children
and other members of the family till after my
parents had their drink. Thus, with the vessel
in hand, I awaited their awakening till the
flush of dawn, While the children cried out of
hunger at my feet. When they woke up, they
had their drink. O Lord, if I did this thing
seeking only your pleasure, then do relieve us
of the distress wrought upon us by this rock.”
Thereupon, The rock moved a little but that
not enough to let them pass out.
Then the second man supplicated: “O Lord, I
had a cousin whom I loved her more
passionately than any loves a woman. I tried
to seduce her but she would have none of me,
till in a season of great hardship due to
famine, she approached me (for help) and I
gave her one hundred and twenty Dinars on
condition that she would have sexual
intercourse with me. She agreed, and when we
got together and I was just going to have
intercourse with her, she pleaded: ‘Fear Allah,
and do not break the seal unlawfully’;
whereupon I moved away from her, despite the
fact that I desired her most passionately; and
I let her keep the money I had given her. O
Lord, if I did this thing seeking only your
pleasure, then do move the distress in which
we find ourselves.” Again the rock moved a
little but not enough to let them pass out.
Then the third supplicated: “O Lord, I hired
some laborers and paid them their dues, but
one of them left leaving behind what was due
to him. I invested it in business and the
business prospered greatly.” After a time the
laborer came Back and said: ‘O servant of
Allah, hand over to me my wages.’ I said to
him: ‘All that you see is yours – camels,
cattle, goats and slaves.’ He said: ‘Don’t play
joke with me, O servant of Allah.’ I assured
him: ‘I am mot joking.’ So he took all of it
sparing nothing. O Lord, If I did this seeking
only for your pleasure, do relieve us of our
distress.”
The rock then moved away, and all the three
came out of the cave safe and sound.
(Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim )

No comments:

Post a Comment